New QPAC Theatre under construction

New Queensland Performing Arts Theatre ~ Philli Overton


Here is one of those moments in time photos that history will look back on one day. I'd regularly walked past the additions being built for the Queensland Performing Arts Centre structure on the corner of Grey and Russell Streets South Brisbane during my time of commuting to TAFE Queensland's South Bank campus without thinking too much of it. Until the wavy steel frame of the roof line was added.


  • Camera: Olympus E-M10MarkIV
  • Aperture: f/14
  • Exposure: 1/320 second
  • Focal lens: 14 mm
  • ISO-400
The overcast lighting conditions naturally removed the shadows that would otherwise have obscured the framework within the building's shell. The image was taken from street level and using Adobe Photoshop I was able to skew the image to stand it up straight, (compare the finished image to the original photograph below). I also decreased the colour saturation to minus 91 percent to achieve the colourised black and white image that you see. The finished piece became my architectural photo submission as part of my Visual Arts certificate.

The original image prior to some Photoshop adjustments ~ Philli O Photography


There's something about the skeletal frame of a building that is under construction that is lost upon completion. And I'm sure that once the structure is complete and I'm waiting with a glass of Prosecco in hand to see a performance in Australia's largest performing arts complex, I'll recall this image taken on a gloomy, cold winter's morning.

Philli O.

Comments

Popular Posts